Wednesday, September 9, 2009

CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL AIR SHOW 2009: Hawk One

I AM… a star-crossed lover, no more.

I FINALLY get to see and photograph a flying GOLDEN HAWK.

The wondrous Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, in Hamilton, has a static see-thru Golden Hawk on display, which is the other Golden Hawk all should see. I have some great shots of that one, but unfortunately, it can't fly.

I missed all of Vintage Wings of Canada's HAWK ONE'S appearances at every Ontario air show this year. And not by choice. The Hawk didn't even make it to Wings and Wheels earlier this year in TO after I told the whole city to come out!

A couple weeks ago, while on a movie set, I threw my DSLR in to a mirky lake and killed it. By fluke. And with no one around I also ran into the Bear-walker.

So without a DSLR to power my lenses, odds were workin' against me to see HAWK ONE during the 100th Anniversary Celebration of Powered Flight in Canada.

But I got a new DSLR, and finally I did photograph "the Hawk" (seen above)!

MY DAD would've seen many performances of the RCAF Golden Hawks. In fact, he had a signed 13 x 19 colour photo of them in formation… back in the day.

Not easy to come by.

I think these are the best Sabre colours ever.

REMEMBER: The GOLDEN HAWKS were Canada's first military aerobatics team, long before the Snowbirds, and were created to celebrate the (Golden) 50th Anniversary of Powered Flight (1959) in Canada. The Golden Hawks also helped celebrate the 35th Anniversary year of RCAF.

No comments: